IHSA Coaching Orientation Online Course-2nd Edition
IHSA Coaching Orientation 2E is an online course gleaning material from the Coaching Principles, Sport First Aid, and Coaching [Sport] Technical and Tactical Skills courses. IHSA Coaching Orientation also includes the IHSA component and bylaws exam covering IHSA-specific information on policies, procedures, rules, and reporting requirements.
IHSA Coaching Orientation is comparable to other nationally recognized and approved courses for credentialing high school coaches. Clocking in at four to six hours, IHSA Coaching Orientation features considerably less content than Coaching Principles, but its interactive exercises, engaging graphics, poignant video vignettes, and quick pace form a course that's informative, eye-opening, and enjoyable and will whet your coaches' appetites for more advanced coaching education.
After completing this course, coaches should be able to do the following:
• Develop a personal coaching philosophy and coaching objectives.
• Recognize a coach's role in helping players develop good character.
• Evaluate and improve communication skills.
• Build team chemistry and manage athletes' behavior using positive discipline and team rules.
• Work effectively with administrators, officials, parents, and the media.
• Recognize what motivates high school athletes, and explain how to integrate this knowledge with innovative approaches to learning in order to be an effective teacher.
• Create plans for teaching technical and tactical skills, and describe how to teach and practice these skills.
• Identify educational resources for learning about and keeping abreast of sport-specific skills and the latest technological advances in a sport.
• Recognize legal responsibilities related to managing risk.
• Ensure the safety of athletes, including working with other members of the athletic health care team, handling medical and weather emergencies, providing safe athletic facilities and equipment, and coordinating physical exams and medical records.
• Recognize a coach's role in promoting physical fitness with athletes.
• Develop instructional plans for the season and for individual practices.
• Understand IHSA-specific information on policies, procedures, rules, and reporting requirements.
All reading material is delivered within the course as PDFs; no materials will be mailed to you.